Insomnia is highly prevalent among asthmatics; however, few studies have investigated insomnia symptoms and asthma development. We aimed to investigate the association between insomnia and the risk of incident asthma in a population-based cohort.
Among 17 927 participants free from asthma at baseline we calculated odds ratios and 95% confidence intervals for the risk of incident asthma among those with insomnia compared to those without. Participants reported sleep initiation problems, sleep maintenance problems and nonrestorative sleep. Chronic insomnia was defined as those reporting one or more insomnia symptom at baseline and 10 years earlier. Incident asthma was defined by questions on asthma at baseline and follow-up (average 11 years).
The prevalence of sleep initiation problems, sleep maintenance problems and nonrestorative sleep were 1%, 1% and 5%, respectively. The multi-adjusted odds ratios were 1.18 (95% CI 0.97–1.44), 1.30 (95% CI 1.03–1.64) and 1.70 (95% CI 1.37–2.11) for people with one, two and three insomnia symptoms, respectively, compared with people without symptoms (p<0.01 for trend). The risk of developing asthma in those with chronic insomnia was three times higher (adjusted OR 3.16, 95% CI 1.37–6.40) than those without.
Insomnia symptoms were associated with increased risk of incident asthma in this study.
People experiencing insomnia symptoms had a higher risk of developing asthma than those without such symptoms http://ow.ly/JNEe306bCmf
This article has supplementary material available from erj.ersjournals.com
Support statement: B. Brumpton received a post-doctoral fellowship grant from the Liaison Committee between the Central Norway Regional Health Authority and the Norwegian University of Science and Technology.
Conflict of interest: Disclosures can be found alongside this article at erj.ersjournals.com
- Received July 5, 2016.
- Accepted November 7, 2016.
- Copyright ©ERS 2017